God has been watching over my family, and his angels have kept us safe once more.
The former owner of this house decided to re-wire the home.
He decided to wire the kitchen outlets but did wrong.
For about three days I had been smelling burning.
About 4 days ago I decided to cut down on our ‘phantom’ power usage and had been unpluging our computer and coffee maker at night plus our television.
It turns out that was what prevented the fire from happening.
This morning I turned on the coffee maker, the computer and the furnace kicked in. It turns out that while these were to be 3 separate circuits, they were actually all wired together and we had no hydro. I went downstairs and popped the breaker and saw sparks.
So I woke Dh up and said, you need to get up. He took off the cover of the breaker panel and after a few minutes we saw the melted and fused wires and the breakers fused together, their screws melted!
My father came to our rescue and fixed everything. Turns out the man didn’t separate two 15 amp breakers and cause the fire. Thankfully, God in his blessing had us acting in such away that while I could smell burning several days, the usage had never been high enough for us to actually set the panel on fire. Which, we have been assured would have been the situation.
Things that did happen:
-I had wall installed. Turned off furnace because door to outside was open. Tools were plugged into that circuit but because they were used one at a time and furnace didn’t come on, no over load.
-I’ve been unplugging coffee maker all the time lately. This was so badly wired that had we tried to perk coffee and the furnace came on at the same time because the wires had melted so much, we would have started a fire. But… that never happened!
-I’ve been turning off the computer at night. My morning routine, which I have been following well lately, is to not turn on the computer until my coffee has been made, transfered into a carafe, and coffee maker unpluged for the day!
God is good! We are safe, its is all well and no loss of furnace, house or anything! Just a big scare!