Ah yes, I’m it…
Eight Random things you might not know about me:
1. My father received a few offers to arrange my marriage for me while we lived overseas. They were pretty generous offers too, they were willing to wait for me to grow up. My father declined the offers. Growing up overseas has some benefits you didn’t know about, eh?
2. I met Pierre Elliot Trudeau. He made quite the impression on me. I think I was between 10 or 12 or so. I remember feeling very sullen at having to go to this stupid Embassy dinner. In preparation I was taken to a hair salon and allowed to miss the whole day of school to get my hair done. My hair was sculpted into this water lily. I hated it. In my memory it took hours of teasing and gobs and cans of hair spray. We have a picture of us all ready to go to the dinner and there I am with a huge pouty face that my daughter now makes. I remember that I hated my hair. It hurt and I was miserable.
Trudeau complimented me very enthusiastically on my hair. I loved it then. Which was good because the amount of hair spray they used and all of the teasing meant that it took 2 sleeps before my mother was able to get the comb through my hair. I had to go to school with a crushed water lily made of hair. But I didn’t care because Trudeau, whom I had no clue who he really was, said he liked it!
3. Truthfully I don’t really like the colour brown a lot. I’d rather wear red all the time. But once I was told that people who wear red desire a lot of attention. People who wear brown are admired by others. So now I wear brown and blog to get the attention.
4. I can type at 90 wpm. With near perfect accuracy. Naturally my speed lessens when I have to think before I type. But if I am copying a manuscript or something, I can zoom right along. Yes, I took typing lessons once but my speed came from the time my father hired me to enter data for him and I got paid by the page.
5. I read about as fast as I type. I can read 100 pages in about 30 minutes. Not Dickens naturally or cookbooks. But say, my favourite nonsense author, I can read one of her books in about two hours. The one beside me is 430 + pages and I read it in 2 hours tonight.
6. My favourite nonsense author is Elizabeth Peters. Yes, I know its a pen name but I don’t care! I don’t like the books under the other names, just the ones under the Elizabeth Peters name.
7. I have a hard time being a parent. The vast majority of the time I want to burst out in laughter at my children. My son is so sensitive and I have to suppress most of my laughter. But serious if your going to disobey me after me warning you not to walk on the edge of the bridge like that, its only fair if I laugh when you fall in, right? Especially when you stand there in the ankle deep water yelling to be rescued because you’re drowning? I think some laughter should be okay then…
8. Here’s a bonus, this is my cousin and I love cheering her on. I’m adding this because she just had an injury and I saw her today in person for the first time in ages. She’ll be okay and will be running competitively soon again. But if you’d like to cheer her on too, please do!
She can run a mile in just over 4 minutes. Pretty cool, eh? Currently she is the 11th fastest woman in the world.